Treating out of Control Sexual Behaviour – with Doug Braun-Harvey (USA)
The Harvey Institute’s only training event in Australia in 2018
Join us for this one-day professional training event with acclaimed author, AASECT board member and award-winning sex therapist Doug Braun-Harvey in Melbourne.
Who is this for?
- Are you a therapist or medical / health professional interested in learning a new model for treating men (of all sexual orientations) with problematic sexual behaviour?
- Are you looking for an innovative best practice model to increase your confidence and ability to effectively assess and treat men with out of control sexual behaviour?
- Are you looking for a method for motivating clients to change damaging patterns of online, compulsive, or impulsive sexual behaviour?
- Are you looking for sex positive interventions for men conflicted about their sexual turn-ons and erotic interests?
- Are you looking for innovative practices for addressing sex/drug-linked behaviour (Chemsex)?
Doug Braun-Harvey’s innovative OCSB treatment model, based on over 20 years of clinical experience (co-developed with Michael Vigorito), combines extensive clinical practice with science and research from sexual health, human behavior, motivational change, attachment, self-regulation and eroticism within a combined individual and group therapy treatment model. The collaborative client/therapist treatment relationship is founded on the principle of men taking responsibility for defining and integrating their personal sexual health vision.
Learn material from Doug Braun-Harvey’s “Treating Out of Control Sexual Behavior: Rethinking Sex Addiction”
- Become more comfortable talking to clients about sex
- Help clients work on sexual behavior problems without sociocultural judgments
- Explain the OCSB Clinical Pathway for assessment and treatment.
- Learn the six fundamentals of sexual health
- Help clients develop a mature sexual health plan
- Help clients address out of control sexual behavior linked with drug and alcohol abuse
- Learn how regulation, attachment and sexual/erotic conflicts lead to OCSB
- Learn the Braun-Harvey & Vigorito OCSB protocol for consensual, out of control sexual behavior—and how it helps!
Sexual health psychotherapist Douglas Braun-Harvey bridges sexual and mental health and facilitates organisational change as well as outpatient individual and group therapy for men with out-of-control sexual behavior (OCSB). He is a national and International trainer bridging principles of sexual health within drug and alcohol treatment, mental health care, group psychotherapy, HIV prevention and treatment, and child maltreatment.
In 2013, Doug Braun-Harvey and Al Killen-Harvey combined their individual psychotherapy practices with their international training consultation services to form The Harvey Institute. The Harvey Institute is dedicated to helping individuals and organisations integrate sexual health principles and practices to improve personal well-being and rethink their organisational practices.
Author of Treating Out of Control Sexual Behavior: Rethinking Sex Addiction (2015), Sexual Health in Recovery: Professional Counselor’s Manual (2011) and Sexual Health in Drug and Alcohol Treatment: Group Facilitator’s Manual (2009). In 2015 the University of Minnesota Program in Human Sexuality established The Doug Braun-Harvey Fellowship in Compulsive Sexual Behavior as a two-year post doctoral training in compulsive and out-of-control sexual behavior. Doug is a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT), Certified Group Psychotherapist (CGP) and an AASECT Certified Sex Therapist (CST). His private practice is in San Diego, California.
Download PDF brochure of the event here
“I have been waiting for a book that would offer a sex-positive, non-judgmental, and non-pathologizing alternative approach for working with “sex addiction.” Doug Braun-Harvey and Michael Vigorito aim men forward toward their sexual health with this refreshing critical, and compassionate model to help those in the grip of problematic sexual behavior. This book will change your thinking and your clinical work at the intersection of sexuality and psychotherapy.” – Esther Perel, LMFT, Author of Mating in Captivity: Unlocking Erotic Intelligence & The State Of Affairs.
About The Book
This groundbreaking book reconsiders popular notions of addictive sex. Braun-Harvey and Vigorito’s sexual health psychotherapy protocol is an innovative treatment approach for men experiencing sexual lives beyond their control. “Out of control sexual behavior” (OCSB) is defined as a sexual health problem in which consensual sexual urges, thoughts, or behaviours feel out of control. As opposed to a clinical disorder, OCSB is framed as a behavioral problem within the normal range of sexual expression.
The book provides step-by-step tools for assessment, treatment planning, and implementation stemming from the authors’ work with hundreds of individual and group therapy clients. OCSB treatment matches individual and group therapy interventions with current motivational interviewing and readiness-for-change research. Further, this approach emphasises the clinician’s ethical responsibility to provide the most effective treatment while protecting client sexual rights and welcoming sexual diversity. Rich and varied composite case examples demonstrate clinical sexual health treatment conversations as well as stories of hope and guidance to understand how sexual health is an ally for changing OCSB.
Global go-to consultant on sex addiction and OCSB
When: Thursday March 29. 2018.
Where: Jasper Hotel. Melbourne
Time: 9am – 4.30pm
PD hours: 7 hours
Before Feb 16. 2018
(Recommended) Early Bird $340 (with book) includes catering
$280 (without book) includes catering
After Feb 16
Full Fee $325. (without book*) includes catering
*book may be available on the day (no guarantees)
Networking drinks afterward – not included in registration fee
Discounted accommodation rates available on site for event attendees. Information contained in registration email.
Terms & Conditions
- Registration confirmation: on receipt of payment
- Cancellations more than 30 days prior to the event: A 50% cancellation fee applies.
- Cancellations 14-29 days prior to the event: A cancellation fee of 25% of workshop price will be refunded.
- Cancellations less than 14 days prior to the event: No refund. Full fees apply. Absolutely no further correspondence shall be entered into.
- Transfer of registration: Registrations can be transferred in full to another participant on notification to Cyndi Darnell in writing. Use contact form below.